Here are pictures (as promised) of things I finished last week.
This is a kind of Lolita skirt I made with the fabric that once wrapped around my old iron claw footed bathtub (kind of like a bed skirt) It's all gathered into an elastic waistband, there is a layer of netting and another layer of fabric trimmed in lace it, it has an excellent fullness and was completely free.
here is another skirt I whipped up using a skirt on hand, that had been way to small. I cut the skirt off at the top, creating a new and larger waistband. Then I sewed bias tape down sides, threaded ribbon through it. I can now draw up the sides, looping the ribbon around buttons I have attached to the waistband, giving the skirt a kind of bustle effect. Again it was all free